In July 2016, Romans Pizza sent out a tweet asking if it should stock gluten-free pizza bases. The franchise has been relatively quiet on the subject, but it seems those bases are now available.
While this new offering is news to us at Next Window Plz, it was first advertised in January of this year, though not much since.
Seen today at the Durbanville branch (pictured above), Romans Pizza is offering its customers gluten-free bases at R15 extra per pizza. The only restriction, it seems, is that customers will need to order a large pizza for the option. That’s pretty standard when it comes to gluten-free offerings, at least in Cape Town.
Romans Pizza Terms and Conditions
The Terms & Conditions for the gluten-free bases do contain a few points that customers should take note of.
1. Roman’s Pizza offers a gluten free pizza base only, not a gluten free pizza. This pizza is not a low carb pizza alternative.
2. The Roman’s Pizza kitchens contain wheat flour as dough is made fresh daily in store, as well as carry ingredients that contain gluten, thus cross-contamination is possible.
3. While we take meticulous care to please our gluten free customers, we don’t recommend it for those with celiac disease and caution customers with gluten sensitivities.
4. Roman’s Pizza will not be held responsible for any illness or death due to cross-contamination, allergies, or any other food/ingestion related issues which may occur during store operations.
5. The Roman’s pizza gluten free base is made with specifically selected gluten free ingredients, including starch and flour from non-gluten sources such as potato flour, rice flour and maize starch. It does not contain added wheat flour.
6. Allergens: Soya
7. Water, Gluten Free Pizza Base Premix [Corn Starch, Rice Flour, Potato Flour, Stabilisers, Sugar, Raising Agents, Salt, Emulsifier, Preservative (Calcium Propionate)], Canola Seed Oil, Yeast.
**Available at selected stores**
Be sure to ask about the gluten-free pizza bases when ordering from Romans Pizza.